Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tina's First Marathon

Sunday, June 5th my long time friend Tina Gall ran her first marathon. She finished 5th woman in 3.31.58!  A very respectable first effort. She told me today she's already thinking about running another one. What is it about the marathon that we (at least most of us) can't do just one?

I ran my first marathon almost 29 years ago. And I got slower every time after that! I never thought I'd run a marathon for "fun". Come on, what's fun about running 26 miles.. without stopping?
I'll tell you what's fun.. being with great friends before and after; making new friends along the way; achieving things most people think they can't do; overcoming your fears.

My second marathon was The World Championships in Helsinki in 1983.  A Russian woman named Raisa Smeknova placed 2nd that day (I was 7th). I saw Raisa in Tokyo for the Tokyo Women's marathon 3 months later. We became friends, even though neither of us spoke the others language. Running was our common bond.. we knew each others pain and joy. 

What is your favorite memory of your first marathon?

 Enjoy your journey.. happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment