Friday, August 5, 2011

Olympic Marathon

Twenty seven years ago today history was made as 60 women ran a marathon for the first time in the Olympic games. I was lucky enough to be one of those women. I was 27 years old - half my life ago!  While it was not my best marathon, it was an amazing experience to be a part of the Olympics. A month earlier I had carried the Olympic Torch in the relay that went through Seattle's University of Washington campus. To then see that same flame enter the Olympic Stadium and then light the cauldron for the duration of the Games made my knees go weak. Being at the Olympic village and meeting athletes from around the world was very inspiring. I got to talk to Zola Budd, the South African woman famous for running barefoot, and soon to be famous for tangling up with Mary Decker in the 3000m final. I talked to Daley Thompson who was about to win his 2nd Olympic gold medal in the decathlon, and John Tracey (Ireland) who earned a silver medal in the men's marathon a week after I ran my marathon. The Beach Boys played a concert in our village at UCLA, and the Irish women's team and I got to have breakfast with Jane Fonda after we embarrassed ourselves in her easiest level aerobics class!

One year from today an elite group of women will run their Olympic marathon in London. I always get a little emotional now when I watch the Olympic women's marathon. London will be extra special as I grew up 30 miles from the British capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment